Effectively maintaining your carpets between professional carpet cleanings will keep your carpets looking great, extend the life of your carpets and equally important, improve the indoor air quality (IAQ) in your home.
Carpets have the ability to hide a lot of allergens, pet dander and dirt. Did you know that the typical carpet can hold its weight in unseen dirt? So by the time your carpet begins to actually look like it needs cleaning, there’s a lot of hidden dirt and other substances that need to be removed.
Here are 5 easy to implement tips to help you keep your carpets and rugs cleaner and healthier between professional cleanings.
(1) Vacuum your carpets at least once a week. Heavy traffic areas may require more frequent vacuuming. Failing to regularly vacuum your carpets can shorten the life of your carpet as the hidden debris can potentially damage carpet fibers and become the catalyst for allergies and other health issues.
(2) Taking your time when vacuuming will go a long way in removing deeply embedded dust, dirt and allergens. Make sure to go the carpet several times, from multiple directions using crisscross patterns and overlapping strokes. Moving the vacuum slowly and smoothly will give your vacuum the best opportunity to work effectively.
(3) To help neutralize odors, sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda on your carpets and let it stand for about 15 minutes before vacuuming.
(4) Attend to spills and spots quickly, but test in an inconspicuous area to make sure you are not damaging or fading your carpet’s dye or color when using a cleaning solution. (Get some easy spill & spot tips here.)
(5) Keep the outside of all entryways clean, use entry rugs and if possible enforce a “remove-your-shoes” regimen. The proper use of entry and area rugs is the place to start. Have a doormat outside each entry door and another one (or an easy to clean area rug inside each entry area. Sweep the outside entryways often to help prevent the tracking of pollen, dirt and other debris into your home.
If you want your carpets to stay in a “like new” condition, last for years and be an asset when it comes to indoor air quality, follow these tips. Then hire a professional carpet cleaning company to deep clean your carpets on a 6 to 12 month cycle. You’ll love your carpets, they’ll last much longer and you and your family will breathe much easier!
Amarillo DryCarpet Services, Inc.